Wednesday, June 6, 2012

6-06-2012 Machinations of Compost

Raised Bed Gardening in Arkansas


6-06-2012  Subject:  Machinations of Compost


     Several years ago, when I first started broaching the idea of trying raised beds instead of the way my parents always did a garden, my mom asked me, “Honey, where are you going to get the dirt?”  A very good question from a beautiful little woman.  My response to her was a smile and, “We’ll figure something out.”

     At the time, I wasn’t really sure where I was going to get the dirt either.  I started off with cutting 55 gal chemical barrels into sections and made a couple diamond designs in my garden area.  I dug out the ground and embedded the barrel sections in the soil leaving about 4” sticking up.  I mixed my dirt with potting soil (bought at the local department store garden section) and sand (got a truck-load from a sand and gravel company down by the river).
     The sand and potting soil did make the dirt much easier to work with (a lot looser), but it didn’t add very much in the way of nutrients for the plants.  I started raising rabbits for the table, and harvesting the manure for a small compost bin.  Some friends that lived in town were willing to give me all the leaves that they raked up in their yards (I just had to haul them off), and I began layering leaves in the worm beds that I created under the rabbit hutches.  It wasn’t long before I began to see a noticeable difference in my garden plants using the composted rabbit manure, leaves, and the worm castings that were generated in the worm beds under the rabbits.
     That old sayin’, “Build it and they will come” really describes how the compost will call the worms in.  In just a few weeks, the worm beds under the rabbits and the compost bin were already crawling with worms from the surrounding soil.  We were feeding the rabbits to add to our table … so the rabbits were feeding us, the leaves and manure were feeding the worms, the worms were breaking down the organic material into ready compost, the compost was feeding the garden plants, and the garden plants were feeding us … and we got the added bonus of never needing to look very far for fish bait.
     The first compost bins I created were made from some old 2 x 4 wire that someone was throwing away.  It worked fairly well to hold the initial ingredients, but there was quite a lot of material that started falling out as the material broke down a little … it also allowed a little too much air flow around the sides and kept the compost dried out.  Working compost needs to stay a little damp both to assist in the way bacteria and funguses work to break down the organic material, and to keep the worms happy (if the worms ain’t happy they tend to head for greener pastures).
     I next built a couple 4’ x 4’ x 4’ squares out of some old concrete blocks someone gave me from where a house burnt down.  This helped to cut down on the moisture loss, but when one of the sides caved in (I just had them stacked up), I decided that I needed something a little more structurally sound.
     I found some old wooden pallets in a dumpster behind a store and started using them to frame up my beds with.  Old wire is usually not too hard to find, and I used it to tie the pallets together in side by side bins.  I would fill a bin … let it work for month … shovel it into the next bin … let it work for a month … move it into a final bin and in another month (when it was ready) … put it on the garden.
     This system worked the best of anything I had tried so far.  I was able to generate about a cubic yard of useable compost each month and from start to finish it only takes about three months.  (note)  This doesn’t count the time the material set under the rabbit hutches waiting for the first bin.
     I am now using cow manure, goat manure, rabbit manure, old hay, leaves, scraps and weeds from the garden, and anything else I get my grubby little hands on.  Organic material is organic material … and the worms like it all the same.
     What I have discovered from all of this is that I don’t need to find dirt somewhere to fill my garden beds … it grows.  I am now in a position to help all my friends with their own gardens and flower beds and fruit trees.  Others will gladly give me their yard leaves and manure from their pastures in exchange for awesome growing medium for their own green-thumb projects.
… Duane 

No comments:

Post a Comment