Sunday, May 16, 2021

5/16/21 I found the Garlic Chives

 Raised Bed Gardening in Arkansas

     I was really surprised with how well the Garlic Chives have survived.  They were being strangled by the Bermuda Grass and shaded over by the rest of the tall weeds, but they were still in there ... somewhere.   


     It took a little bit of work to dig it out, but once I got the bed (an old truck tire) defined, I was able to start removing the weeds in the Garlic Chives themselves.  They are easy to tell from all the weeds because of their dark green color, their wide and thick blades, and the base is white and round, like an onion.  This variety doesn't have a bulb on the bottom like the traditional Onion Chives.  They have a thick mat of interconnected roots and spread from under the ground.  When they get too clustered and root-bound to grow very well, then you just dig them up and cut the root mat into bite-sized chunks and replant them.  Give them a little space between the new plants ... like at least a few inches.  You can take the extra and plant it somewhere else, or give it to your friends for their own gardens.  It lets the roots have room to expand and reach new and uncharted territory, and the plant starts all over again.


     The next part was to do what is necessary to get them to grow again.  I had to give them a haircut.  In just about every plant, there is an ingrained survival instinct that causes them to shift from just hanging out to growth mode if they get a haircut.  I think my own hair works like that too.

     Consider it a harvest.  These blades that were cut off went into the bucket that was going to the kitchen.  I wanted to leave enough top to give it something to grow on, but I needed to cut it back enough to see what I was dealing with too.


     After the weeding and the haircut, it was time for the addition of the new compost.  I added a couple inches of new friable and crumbly organic compost that I found clogging up my culverts that lead under the fence from the pasture where I feed the cows.  The stuff that flows down the rainwater runoff from my field, is a well-composted organic matrix that is light enough to be picked up by the water where the sand and clay will usually drop out before it gets there.  This compost could be considered a very fertile "Forest Loam", but is loaded with the fresher material that the cows leave in beautiful brown piles scattered across the fruited plain.  It's a veritable smorgasbord of yummy stuff that the plants really seem to love.  I don't think it's quite ready for human consumption though ... it might need to be run through the filter of a plant's roots before I want it to go in my own mouth ... just sayin'.
  

     This bed looks like it's going to be just fine.  With the way the weather is warming up here in Arkansas, there should be an explosion of new growth in no time.  The cage over the top of the bed is mainly used to keep the dogs out.  Dogs just love to dig in dirt that is fresh and loose.  They also want to help you do whatever you are doing.  "Oooh ... Daddy's digging ... I wanna help ... I wanna help!" they say as they are getting right in the way and try to slap their tongues right in your face.
     Now what happened to that bucket of Garlic Chives?  Oh yeah, it went to the kitchen.  I cleaned the blades in the sink, and removed any weeds that were still hiding among the blades of Garlic Chives.  I snapped off the yellow leaves, and any of them that didn't look as palatable.  Then I loaded all of them into the dehydrator.  I filled 5 trays just with this one cutting.  When they are dehydrating, they give the whole house a smell that is reminiscent of buttery garlic, but there is a hint of another scent that is almost like a mild cabbage that was cooked earlier in the day.  I've always loved coming in when something new is cooking or drying.  I've always loved to eat too.


        Garlic Chives are a really tasty addition to just about any meal.  They are light and easy to add, especially when they are chopped up really fine.  Dehydrated, they have a buttery-garlicy flavor that is mild and sweet (wonderful as a topping to anything needing just a little garlic flavor with the added visual of the tiny green flakes).  If they are fresh, they have a sharper garlic flavor that is still milder than regular garlic.
     I found out that they also freeze really well in their blade form.  When you want to add some fresh Garlic Chives to a recipe, just get them out of the freezer bag and use a pair of scissors to snip off what you want and just put the rest back.  They work out really well as additions to soups and I have this really cool Americanized French Onion soup that I like to make with all the stuff that grows around here.
     In a Pesto, they add a strong and potent flavor that perks up dips, side dishes, and gives a cool garlicy explosion to even a tiny taste (much more than just the blades themselves).  They do tend to add that long-lasting garlic addition to your breath though.  It might even be enough to keep the Vampires away ... I mean if you just happen to be living in an area with a larger than normal Vampire population.
     I ended up with a little more than a pint of dehydrated Garlic Chives with this first haircut, and it will stay usable for at least a couple of years.  They store easily in any kind of container that can be sealed to keep out the humidity.  I store them in canning jars and put a folded up paper towel in the top to act as a desiccant.  They can also be stored in a zip-loc bag with a paper towel in there too.  For longer term storage, they can be sealed in a vacuum sealer with a paper towel in them and kept in the freezer for several years.
     I think I'm going to have some with my scrambled eggs that the chickens left for me, and asparagus this morning.  Now, what can I dig out of this jungle next?

... Duane

No comments:

Post a Comment